What is the role of an Engineering Manager in the company?
An engineering manager is responsible for technical leadership, team management, project management, communication, and strategy.
They make key technical decisions, ensure best practices are followed, and stay up-to-date with industry trends. The manager manages the team, sets goals, provides feedback, monitors performance, and addresses issues. They oversee projects, ensuring they are delivered on time, within budget, and to the required quality standards. Communication is also a crucial aspect of their role. They must communicate technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders and ensure everyone works together effectively. Additionally, the manager develops and implements an engineering strategy that aligns with the company's overall business strategy. They make decisions about technology choices, resource allocation, and process improvements.
Overall, the engineering manager plays a critical role in ensuring that the engineering team is working effectively, delivering high-quality work, and supporting the company's success.
Use this interview template to find the best suited EM for your company
Allow the candidate to introduce themselves to you and potentially other interviewers.
- Tell me about yourself
👥 Management Experience
Learn a little bit more about the candidate’s previous management experience.
- How would you describe your leadership style?
- How do you create a winning environment?
- Why are you interested in a management role?
- How do you keep engineering teams motivated?
- How would you go about hiring top engineering talent?
⚙️ Strategy Questions
Learn a little more about their strategic vision for an engineering team within an organization.
- Can you tell me about a project you lead as an engineering manager?
- What do you believe your role is as an engineering manager?
- How do you see the design team growing as the business evolves?
👥 Interpersonal Skills
Learn a little bit more about how they would collaborate with other teams.
- How should engineer teams be structured?
- How do you manage multiple high-priority projects?
- How do you communicate with senior leadership?
- How should the developing, product and design teams collaborate?
- Any Questions for me?